PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sequencing on Approach
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2006, 09:05
AlphaCharlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sequencing on Approach

This may seem like a gripe but genuinely it is not ... I was just wondering on the rational behind it.

I fly for a certain UK carrier which Operates Dash 8Ds (the Dash Q400 to fellow pilots), and regularly on initially stages of decent we are asked to slow down or turn out wide in order to position a jet (sometimes more than one) in front of us for the approach. We then regularly get told to slow down for further separation as well. Bearing in mind that we are a very modern high speed prop which can easily match the decent speeds from FL200 downwards of all regional jets, and can maintain a higher speed until later on approach due to the fact that our props essentially act as giant brakes and we can wash off speed in seconds in a very short distance, with the jets needing much longer to allow their speed to wash off, why is it then that the jets get priority on approach. Sadly to say as well, in many a case it does just appear like BA favoritism with it usually a Speedbird, Shuttle or British being placed ahead of us.

As I said this is not a gripe at you guys who do a great job for little reward/praise, but it does get somewhat annoying, when we are on a tight turn around, to get sequenced behind a jet we are level pegging when we can easily beat it.