PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BMI
Thread: BMI
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2006, 22:09
Leezyjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bmi have been well and truly shafted by the 2 recent Chief Operating Officers. The last one started the ball rolling, then jumped ship for a life in the Middle East and the current one doesn't seem to have a clue.

Staff morale is at an all time low - it always has been low at Bmi, but now it is non-existant. Blanket overtime bans so long term staff are jumping ship in droves, (but this never bothered Bmi in the past so won't now either - when the managements only answer to staff problems is there is the door, if you leave there are plenty of people in Tesco's that will take your job !!) it's not easy to survive on a basic of approx £1100/month for ground staff in the London area without o/t. They need a good clear out of management too. Some of the managers there are up to no good from the word on the street.

Midland had so much going for it, but in the last 5 years have been in freefall mode. If they don't do something soon they will hit the ground hard.

Bmi have some great people working for them who have been very loyal to the company despite the companies poor treatment of them. It's these people I feel sorry for.

They need to do something quickly. For a start, they could get rid of the stupid rule that passengers MUST use a machine to check-in, and get the desks manned again. It is much quicker and efficient from what I've seen, it's more personal too which is what a lot of people actually want. They could hand out free soft drinks, and charge for alcohol. Get rid of those crap moveable seats and install 3 rows of proper Business class seats on all a/c, so they would have 12 proper C seats that would appeal to those who want them, and as supply would be low on each flight, they could keep prices fairly high for those who want to pay for it and at least those who do would have the choice on every route. Sort out the ff scheme and give a higher reward again and let silvers back into the lounge too.

They could carry on with their variable fares in econ, ditch the paid drinks in econ on L/haul as no other l/haul offers it, (except charters) so they wouldn't loose as many pax. Make more of an effort with excess baggage (don't know what they are like now, but they used to waive everything !!) and charge for e/exit on l/haul ala Virgin as people are actually prepared to pay it. Round trip fuel all short haul flights where poss (and where it is economical to do so) so only paying out for fuelling once per round trip.

Thats just for starters !!!.

SMB, if your reading, I'll come and sort your airline out