Civil Aviation Authority,
CAA House, 45-59 Kingsway,
London WC2B 6TE

BA, ATLAS AND GSS
OFFICIAL RECORD SERIES 2
NUMBER 1735, 21 FEBRUARY 2006
PART 3 FOREIGN REGISTERED AIRCRAFT

Dear Mr Metson,

The reason for my Email is the recent -and might I note unjust- extension by the CAA for the Atlas Air Operated Aircraft on behalf of British Airways World Cargo.

Without a doubt you are aware of the history surrounding the Atlas and BAWC and the incorporation of Global Supply Systems Ltd. as a result of BALPA's intervention.

What you might not be aware of is that GSS is ready to accept another Aircraft to replace the existing Atlas Air B747-200F aircraft. As you might imagine, however, GSS needs some lead-time to implement the transition. Therefore GSS requires a commitment from BAWC to carry their freight and from Atlas Air to source the required Aircraft. In the recent history (during which the CAA extensions was in effect) Atlas Air offered the availability of a fourth B747-400F aircraft, which GSS had to reject due to lack of commitment on the BAWC side.

Ironically, the commitment by BAWC seems to resurface around the time, that the extension of the Atlas Air contract becomes due for renewal, citing that the requirements currently cannot be fulfilled by GSS. This seems to be a strategical coincidence, designed not to give GSS enough preparation time to implement the transition.

I believe it is reasonable to extend a Foreign Carrier contract one ore possibly two times, especially when it benefits BAWC or any other UK company, but the current situation is beyond the reasonability as it becomes de-facto a status quo. I might add, that it also undermines the credibility of the approving authority.

In the recent World Economic Forum in Davos the BA Chairman of the Board critically noted the current nonexistence of reciprocity of the "Open Skies" Agreement, which further more underlines the point I would like to make with this message.

May I request that you withhold approval of this foreign charter to BA until all avenues leading to operation of a British registered B747 employing British crews have been fully explored.

Yours sincerely,