PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pictures of aircraft water-skiing? Genuine or not?
Old 1st Mar 2006, 16:53
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speedpig

Yes - links below.

When people suggested the pics were or might be fake, I decided to do some digging. (Sponsor's name in Google.)

The photographer's site has a sequence of pictures showing approach, 'water-skiing' and climbing away.
Here's the link: www.aviationdimension.com
You need to register to see the pictures but it's free.
Early morning anglers are treated to the spectacle of four T6 Harvard Aircraft from The Flying Lions Aerobatic Team waterskiing across the Klipdrift Dam near Johannesburg South Africa.
Lead by Scully Levin, with wingman Arnie Meneghelli, Stewart Lithgow and Ellis Levin, this renown airshow display team rehearse a sequence for the newly launched "Aviation Action" television program on Supersport.
Arnie Meneghelli from Academy Brushware, owner of the aircraft had this to say, "What we did today I believe is a world first. It illustrates that South African airshow pilots are amongst the best in the world".
This unusual act, approved by the South African Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), and supported by Castrol Aviation, was meticulously planned and took place under the watchfull eye of divers and paramedics that were on site.
I e-mailed the team to ask for details and they gave me date and place of the flight.
Link to the team's website: Flying Lions
Some good tight formation shots at the moment, but they said they'll have some pics of the event on their site in a couple of weeks.

I suppose it's possible it's a spoof involving quite a few people, but I don't think it is.
I wouldn't try it myself, even as a former Harvard owner, because I haven't got the necessary skill, but I've been lucky to fly with several pilots in various parts of the world over the years whom I have no doubt could do it.

Tudor

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; 1st Mar 2006 at 17:36.