PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trial lesson -- comparing sim with reality (long story)
Old 1st Mar 2006, 16:32
cessnasey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maybe flight sims are not great for getting a real feel for flying, but i have to say, i think they are great for teaching a wanna be pilot the bare basics of flying an aircraft, and for instrument flying and practising checks etc.

for instance, we forget what its like to know nothing about piloting an airplane. when i first took the controls on flight sim, about 5-6 years ago, before any trial lessons or flying other than going on holiday, i had hardly any idea what a rudder or an aileron was. i didnt know i had to pull the stick back to take off, taxying from pedals etc.

my point is flight sims are very beneficial to an absolute beginner. i can honestly say that my trial lesson was allot more fun because of simming. i new what was going on with the aircraft, were the controls and dials were, what they ment and even to pull back at 70 knots on take off (best feeling when you do a take off for 1st time!)

also in the long run you can try things you never will in reality, like looping a 747. now were else you gonna get that experience? might not be real, but its the closest im gonna get! he he