PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Listen Out!! Please
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2001, 15:58
In the drink

Location: Up front ,sometimes on the left, sometimes right and trying to be in the middle.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a person who has worked both sides of the fence with numerous years of experience now in both fields, I have to say that the piloting world has no idea about the workload of controllers. In short the loading on controllers working a busy sector is simply 100’s % more than at any sharp end of an aircraft. I have to say, I’ve seen flying colleagues do things and ask for stuff which makes my blood boil, i.e. asking for weather avoiding just to cut a corner; or trying to force a point over the R.T. when the ATCO is busy, crazy unprofessional behaviour I know and very sad. The only explanation I have is metal poisoning i.e. gold, silver or platinum on shoulders going to their heads.

I would advocate a policy that all pilots should visit a centre or even get a blast on an ATC sim. Throw in a few emergencies; incorrect read backs, similar call signs taking the wrong call, aircraft not answering their own calls etc would do the trick. I know without a doubt they would be shocked at the knock-on effects on the big picture!!!…and how quickly things happen. I know it would concentrate their minds in the interests of self-preservation….. Did I hear a “too right from the ATCO’s!”

If anyone remembers me as an ATCO when they didn’t respond, I was the one who would say when they eventually read back their instructions “Audience participation is greatly appreciated, Thank-you!”…. It had the desired effect! However not in MATS part 1, 2 or even approved by SRG!

In balance and from the other side of the fence the only time I’ve seen a high’ish workload is an engine failure shortly after take-off close to max TOW. A quick call to ATC then get on with the job is all that’s required, but in general flying is a non-event! Again from the flying side of things, some companies RTF failure procedures insist a/c not to leave CAS. They say the insurance people don’t like it, which obviously contravenes the ANO, RLCE procedure. I hear you say when was the last time someone had an RTF failure. Yep you’re right, usually finger trouble or a PPL. As far the ATCO’s in the U.S. were concerned, for a few minutes on the 11th they probably thought they had four RTF failures until they and the rest of the civilised world discovered it was more sinister.