PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 767 lands !!!!
Thread: 767 lands !!!!
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2006, 08:55
AN2 Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by N380UA
ILS power did not fail. The system was on Bat./Diesel therefore, I/A/W IACO Annex 10 had to be downgraded to CAT I. This was a legislative/policies issue and not technical. CAT III capabilities were given throughout the entire incident.
That is how I understand it as well.

Whether the crew had a visual of the runway lights or the ground at CAT I minima I don’t know nor do I know if the crew relied on a decision point planning.
I think we may well exclude DPP planning as the statement by Belair sais he took 2.5 tons on top of his minimum block fuel. If he had this margin to play with DPP would most probably have been pointless.

All I know is that we are missing a bunch of facts here. It probably wasn’t as critical as some make it out to have been. The BFU is investigating, we'll see in due time what has lead up to this event.
Right. It's quite remarkable that the initial post here was a tad more sensationalist than what most of the papers wrote here. That's a new one

@Alexban

The story,as I understand from AN2 driver,is like this: the 767 commenced the app for one rwy,then the cat3 ils failed ,so the 767 did a go-around. Then the airport had to close for 18 min,so the plane had to hold.After 18 min hold the 767 cpt informed that in about 10 min he will declare emergency,and if no approach available he has to divert 'now'.
I understand the 18 minutes the time from the closure until the Belair landed. For the remainder, fully concur.