PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus - Direct Entry Pilots
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2006, 04:05
Silver Tongued Cavalier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly let me say that Half-day Henry is messing with you all and might have got a few false hopes up!

Expansion Plan is awaiting Ministerial approval, and is dependant on privatisation

42 A320s
14 A330s
New LHR base

150 pilots need to be recruited by 2010
Interviews to commence in September
Not heard where the 150 figure came from???? And very much doubt interviews this Sep.

There are a lot of ifs and buts RE privatisation/expansion etc but at the moment we know for sure the only facts are that everyone at EI is working close to limits now, rostering is very tight, and there are allegedly a couple more A320's in the pipeline, not to mention 2 new A330's (29% Long Haul fleet expansion!!!) to be delivered mid 2007. To take it to 29 A320's and 9 A330's

New LHR base would probably be A330 to take advantage of an EU/US open skies deal and the decent number of slots EI has there. There are lots of crews overnighting in Kensington and Cork each night so bases in these could be a strong possibility, particularly Cork now, although at no extra cost to the company. The Shannon base idea didn't work out a few years back due to complications over relocation/house prices etc etc!!!

Before any new outside recruitment there are around 25 pilots (anyone have accurate figures?) away on unpaid leave, some of whom will not be back until 2008. And 43 cadets who were let go during training in Jerez , many of these have good jobs already, I suspect only half of these would want to rejoin EI? Anyone else have an estimate here?? High-flyer??

There are hardly any new retirements for the next 5 years as many senior guys have already gone early on the numerous exit packages offered recently. Similar to BA time to command for new joiners will be circa 12 years+ however they will be joining at the crest of a recruitment wave and most likely will be a Captain 7 years quicker than the guys at the bottom of the seniority list at present!! However if Mannions plan of 14 A330's and 42 A320's by 2010 comes to fruition then time to command will reduce significantly, that 100% expansion on long haul and 55% on short haul.

My own hunch is for outside recruitment for summer schedule 2007. Last time EI recruited DE Pilots it took anyone from fresh Oxford graduates with 150 odd hours, ex-military IAC and RAF, new frozen ATPLs from modular and self improver route, and both EI type rated and non EI type rated Airline Pilots from all over. It's a diverse and interesting bunch!!!

This was however in the good old days, 1999-2000, now the company will prefer minimal training cost, so obviously Airbus type rated and houred will have preference, then zero flight time candidates (no circuits) with 500 hrs jet??, then maybe some sort of serious self sponsored bonding scheme similar to Easyjet recruitment, for non type rated low houred candidates. Yes EI is similar to BA in that your face must fit the organisation rather than your previous jobs/qualifications. And your right, EVERYONE is in with a shot!!!!

The selection process 6 years ago used to be a multiple stage BA type affair but I predict it will be alot more "low cost" this time round!!!

As for the terms and conditions for new entrants, this will be one big fight, particularly the final salary pension issue.

IALPA is aware of the problems of B and C scales have caused at other airlines such as Cathay with regard to unity and Union effectiveness. At BA the imminent pension problems, will be compounded by their recently introduced C scale pension, and will have a profound impact in the outcome IMHO.

IALPA has agreed worse terms for new entrants before and it caused bad feeling for years amongst some. And I'd like to hope it won't happen again for all our sakes, but I feel the precedent might have already been set with the other Airlines and we'll all shaft ourselves!!!!

As said by st patrick, no EI pilot would be happy seeing new recruits join on a B scale for pay, and I don't think that will happen, good, but for the pension I'm not so optimistic. Just looking at the way the industry has gone the last few years, and indeed all the other pension schemes in the country/Europe!!!

Will IALPA shut down the National Airline again for days on end, to ensure a present day norm-shattering pension deal for people who haven't joined yet? I doubt it. Will be very interesting to see what Willie has in store for BA Pilots pensions though.

All in all, I predict new outside recruitment for EI in time for summer 2007 schedule, and the overall package to be slightly better than the current BA one for new joiners.