PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2006, 03:39
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In the highlands study the countryside you fly over in good weather so in bad you are less likely to get lost...anything that sticks out...landslides, funny bends in rivers, villages...the first landmark I ever learned up in the highlands was a single tree on a ridge near Kundiawa...it saved my bacon a bunch of times...when it was cut down 10 years later I was most upset...flew passed in a dash 7 and it was gone...I was inconsolable

Presumably you will be starting off in the RHS?

Develope an idea about escape routes and also study where the weather builds up first and where stays clear the longest.

A bandit is not the aeroplane to go poking around in valleys in poor weather...so don't...if you doubt me on this there are two crashed bandits within 10nm of Goroka...both pilots I knew...both were absolutely avoidable and completely stupid, unforgiveable crashes that killed a lot of people.

First rule about flying in PNG.

If you have plenty of fuel, an escape route (backdoor) and daylight you can safely explore weather....any one of those three not available.....run away.

Last rule of PNG Flying....see first rule.