PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F35 or Rafale? The UK and France talk.
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2006, 15:17
WhiteOvies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NOT a continuation of Sea Jet thread

From the link posted by A_A:

Mr. Ingram: Indeed, I think that the Sea Harriers are being decommissioned today, and we should mark that event because they have provided great service. We have explored the reasons for this decision time and again in the House and I do not want to repeat them.

Political dodging on answering a straight question for (possibly) good reason but he's a month early. Nice to know he's got his finger on the pulse!

More importantly - marinisation of aircraft is a bit more costly and complicated than people think e.g. AH and HMS Ocean. Something designed for, or proved, in a maritime environment would be the most logical choice. Resistant to Rafale from personal prejudice of France and worries over future capability. BAe have a sizeable stake in Gripen but real life and sim are different. (Tonkas have a hook too, I wouldn't want to see them at sea ).
Super Hornet would be handy but would/could they be built under license at Warton?
Lets not jump the gun here, both CVF and JSF are a way off yet, anyone want to predict UK Defence in 10ish years time? Rolls still have a substantial influence as the ONLY supplier of the lift fan for the STOVL version so its not game over for UK industry just yet.