PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Pilot Trying to Fly a Helicopter
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2006, 03:29
PPRUNE FAN#1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
papa68:
Having said that, I do believe Rotorheads is sometimes hijacked by "enthusiasts" rather than professional pilots. That's not to say that the enthusiasts out there shouldn't be entitled to their own forum. I guess we need to ask ourselves what sort of forum do we want for the pilots and can another forum be generated for the keen would be rotorheads out there?
You know, I actually thought about this one day! I must have been bored out of my mind, already having had a good wank and was left with literally nothing better to do with that day...and so I found myself pondering the mission statement of this forum-within-a-forum: "A haven for professional helicopter pilots to discuss the things that affect them." Professional helicopter pilots. I may have even started or joined a thread on the subject.

Bottom line is: There are already enough sub-forums on PPRUNE. Fractionalizing helicopter pilots (I now come to believe) is wrong. The rotorcraft industry is comparatively tiny. Really. I am constantly amazed at just how small it is.

Secondly, I'm not sure it's such a good idea leaving all the "pro's" together in this room. What would we talk about that hasn't been hashed-out before ad nauseum?

Thirdly, if we segregate the newbies to their own forum, who will advise them? They'll need an "old hand" to answer their questions. More and more of us will gravitate over there and before you know it..."Rotorheads II."
So, no. Let's keep everyone here. "Professional" is a state of mind just as much as a statement of livelihood, I'm big enough to admit that now. It's the Bronx's and the Bravo's, the SAS's and the Mars, the Nicks and the Shawns, the Whirls and the Squirrels, and all the others who make "Rotorheads" what it is, warts and all. I wouldn't change a thing.