PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA misses out on SY-LA
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2006, 19:19
longjohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To all the Free and Open market protagonists.

Singapore Airlines receives a massive competitive advantage against Qantas through its ability to secure greater reciprocal rights into Foreign Countries, rights which Qantas is unable to secure. I did not see any offer from the Singaporeans to trade off Landing slots in Heathrow or Paris in return for Syd - Lax. Is it fair competition that Qantas cannot get more than 3 slots a week into Paris whilst Singapore operates daily? Qantas has stated Paris (I am using this as an example) was uneconomical due to the lack of frequency.

Or consider Emirates, who not only enjoy the above mentioned advantages, but also a massive Government subsidy in the form of ZERO income tax. Net salaries for Emirates pilots are similar to Qantas, however the Australian government imposes a massive cost to Qantas in the form of income taxes for its employees, effectively increasing its wage bill by 35 - 40%!

The modern free world economic management is one of 'managing the market' through Fiscal and Interest rate intervention.. The Great depression proved that the market mechanisms of Supply and Demand alone are simply not enough.

Similarly, an unrestricted market would allow for the Monopolist, Oligopolistic etc. In that case Virgin Blue would have been history years ago and Jetstar would be unnecessary.

So bring on the free market I say, but a real free market with no interference whatsoever, then sit back and watch the chaos.