PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F35 or Rafale? The UK and France talk.
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2006, 10:59
Brit55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This story is a shot across the bow of the US Administration and hopefully, they'll take it seriously.

Tim M,
I think it's slightly ridiculous to suggest that Rafale would be obsolete by the time the RN would take delivery, it's an aircraft that can be updated at a much lower cost than the hunk of cr@p JSF is promising to be.

The study for Navalising Typhoon did not suggest that we should run out and do it, far from it actually. A lack of visibility from the cockpit whilst on approach was certainly an issue and I don't buy into using a camera on approach in any weather!

Having one airframe for most of your taskings (AD, CAS, GR) rings of putting all of your eggs in one basket and is something we should perhaps avoid.

Although I hate to admit it, buying the French jet might not be the end of the world and would certainly be better than being kippered like a good 'un by the Yanks!

Can't see how British industry is going to profit from the Harrier replacement programme either way with Rolls Royce being pushed out of the JSF picture.