PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working in Kuwait
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2006, 07:05
BeachedWhale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Working in Kuwait

Having read some of the replies I thought I would add my thoughts on working in Kuwait under direct contract.

Money, a big incentive to working in the Middle East. The pay is not great but aduquate especially if you have been suffering in the UK. But bare in mind that you will have to find your own accommodation which can cost 300UKp a month upwards. Where you will work is about 70Kms from where most people live, which means you will have to hire or buy a car. Both of these factors are additional allowances in other company pay packets. Allowing for these two factors you will still be left with around 2000UKp a month for living. As far as I am aware, once on the contract there is no provision for increases in salary, so potentially you could end up 20 years down the line on the same starting money.

Continuing on the money side, the visa you have to work in Kuwait does not allow free travel in and out of the country and a letter must be obtained to leave. This is not generally a problem, but on return you may experience some delay in being paid again. Most companies pay for a return flight home each year, not so there unless the contract has changed.

On the bright side, Kuwait is, for the majority a very good place to work and live, it has a free easy way of life only hampered by outdated paperwork trails and mind numbing bureaucracy. Living in Kuwait can be very good and should be tried, it could give you a foothold into future jobs in the Middle East.

Kuwait is not the UK and you make your own life there which I am sure could be quite good.