PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crosswind limits for CPL students.
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2006, 23:48
172_driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crosswind limits for CPL students.

Hi all,

I don't know if this is the most suitable forum for this question but I think real instructors can provide me with the most professional answer.

I am doing the CPL with an FTO with operations manual and all that stuff. Every so often it is quite windy on the days of flying which often prevent solo flying. The issue is though, how strong wind is still within limits for solo flying? I can honestly say that I have not been solo released for circuit practice in crosswinds exceeding 6-7 kts.

The instructors often let the student make the descision if they feel capable to fly and battle the prevailing conditions. But there seems to be an ulterior motive that they in fact want us to cancel the flight if their is xwind exceeding 6-8 kts. If we cancel they say; very good descision, flight safety. But if we say we want go then they say; ....well, they don't say a ****.
The operations manual allows crosswind components of up to 11 kts. (solo) during the PPL phase and 14 kts. (solo) during the CPL phase. As I said earlier, I have not even been close to those limits.

I brought the question forward to the CFI to hear is opinion in this matter. I told him that me and some classmates wanted more crosswind practice and preferably solo because we felt we were not very comfortable with our crosswind techniques. He obviously thinks VRB02 kts is excellent for practising touch downs, while I think it would be better to steep turns, chandelles, lazy eights etc. in such conditions, and doing circuit practise when there is some wind to battle.
I am not trying to say I am superman, I can do 20 kts. x-wind if I have to, because I can't. But sooner or later, during or after training, we will probably find ourselves in a situation where there is a hell of a crosswind and having a good crosswind technique is essential.

The CFI didn't agree with me at all. He referred to "A superior pilot is a pilot who uses his superior judgment to avoid situations which might require superior skill". He claims he wants to educate pilots who use their good judgement before their good skills. I definately agree with him to some extent. But still I would like to have practised more then 6-7 kts. crosswind all alone in an aircraft when I graduate with a CPL.

It find it really difficult to explain my situation without sounding like a student with a master's confidence. I'd just like to hear some opinions from instructors with various epxeriences in this matter.

Best Regards

172_driver