PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA misses out on SY-LA
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2006, 20:46
confoutre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still reading a lot of economic theory but still no figures to back it up. I await any figures such as expected job growth an expected increased in GDP with bated breath....

Those who argue that allowing SQ on the route will create jobs and boost the economy must be arguing that it will encourage American tourists to come Dunnunda. Now I have been to the US many times, and when Americans hear that I am from Australia, they almost invariably comment on how great they think Oz is and how they would love to travel there. When I ask why they don't travel there, most of them mention the distance and that they simply don't have the time. NOT ONCE have I ever heard anyone say that the airfare is too high. Can SIA tell us how much they would charge for a return economy ticket LAX-SYD? How many more American tourists would come if the ticket were $100 cheaper. Now that would be an interesting survey.

And answer me one last thing - why is SQ the only saviour of the transpacific route. Wouldn't having J* or DJ (or some offshoot thereof) on the route be better for the Australian economy?