PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WJ Pilots Ratify Contract
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2006, 20:31
jumpy737

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know, from the outside looking in it does appear that things do not add up at WestJet. I had soo many friends call me when I was at Jazz telling me how great it was and I responded with a measure of scepticism. When I felt the need to come back out west I applied and the rest is history. One thing that I found when I got here is the common respect that managers have for pilots and pilots have for managers. As they say "it's not rocket science". I can see how the cool aid threads start because it's hard not to want to tell people how great it is here because we've all been at companies that weren't so great and it's a breath of fresh air. I enjoy going to work and enjoy the people I get to spend 4 or 5 days with. I get to fly a really amazing A/C, the NG, and I get to go to some really unique places thanks to our agreement with Air transat. I was lucky enough to upgrade fairly quickly and I remain positive that things will continue to do well here, although I'm not dumb enough to think that the expansion will continue forever.

Things had started to go downhill a little with the lack of profit sharing and the option lift and some (including myself) started to casually enquire elsewhere. I don't think you'll see that now as many of the pay and lifestyle issues have been addressed. Look around at the other forums and compare what you see at the LCC's in Europe. Now that gives me an uneasy feeling especially RYR and Easy. I don't think that the management styles are at all comperable at WJ to the other LCC, where we still have a great dialogue with management and issues get resolved.

BTW, your wordy rant against WestJet is offensive and I take it personally that some things are just not true. WestJet has never sold itself as a Camelot. We are in a risk-sharing venture that is not for everyone. Now we will get to choose the level of risk that we are comfortable with. Sure some day one guys and Clive have done well, but they don't sell that to new-hires nor do they promote it as a guarantee. They do tell you that the potential is there and if you are comfortable with the risk you would have made a great WestJetter.

While your pro-union bias is apparant, I'll let you know how they filled us in and "sold" us. Both our association (WJPA) and management jointly presented the new contract at 6 different meetings with most going in sceptical and coming out sold. How's that for leadership? Our respresentation is direct and very benefitial to the pilots at WestJet. ALPA was great as an association for our profession but very poor at benefitting indevidual pilots in Canada. Anyway, details will emerge in the next few days that will fill you in.

Cheers.