PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA Cadet Pilot - All Batches, Merged
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2006, 15:59
Knightwhosays_NI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,
thought i might just chime in with what little i know. First, the youngest s'porean i know that got accepted as a cadet pilot is 25.5 years old. There are in fact, a few who are under 26 years old. However, their acceptance into SIA is on a case by case basis. Apparently, SIA has to get clearance from the AirForce to take these guys.
Next, applicants must fulfill the pre-requisites i.e. O Levels with A levels/Dip/Degree. Billkill seems to say that there are cadets without the basic requirements, physical or academic, but i personally do not know any. Maybe i misunderstood him. Anyway, the furthest SIA has gone to bend their requirements that I personally know of, is for a cadet with only combined science in O levels instead of the pure science as required. That's as far as they're willing to go, it appears.
With regards to ThermalImage's and JMike's discussion, I feel that both have their valid points. I can understand that a guy with all the passion for flying, but saddled with a family, loans, meagre savings and a current permanent job would be in a dilemma to accept a cadet pilot position, no matter the rewards which may or may not come later. Not everyone (with their responsibilities in tow) is lucky enough to be able to survive on savings and the little that SIA pays for 2 years or so. Which is why in the interviews, they ask your family background to get a feel of your financial health. Nevertheless, SIA cadet pilots are certainly one of the luckiest pple around. By the time he's finished with Jandakot, SIA would have spent $150k on him. By the time he is done with Maroochydore, he would have cost the company $300k. All in about 2 years. And to do what? Travel around the world while earning a very nice salary. I don't think that the civil service, or in fact any other job can compare. So SIA can tell me that they're not even going to pay a salary, and I'll still gladly take up the job.