PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inquest: 'Rotorblade downwash did not cause plane crash'
Old 26th Feb 2006, 14:49
SASless

Received 516 Likes on 215 Posts
Crab,

A repeat of my post....

they stated rotorwash could have affected the airplane as it crossed over the vehicular roadway but that it did not cause the aircraft to veer off the runway initially.
A repeat of your post....

the downwash of the Sea King was shown to have remained completely clear of the Cessna at all times and WAS NOT A FACTOR in the crash. The AAIB investigation was quite clear on the cause of the accident.
We agree the rotorwash did not cause the accident. The only question I would have is what effect the rotorwash did have on the ultimate outcome of the loss of control. That effect would only be in the severity of the accident possibly, as the accident was well underway when when the rotorwash would have any effect. Read the AAIB report and you will see the part of the Rotorwash study that reports the confirmation of rotorwash being felt at one of the test points where the aircraft was passing over the roadway, probably at a 5-6 foot height in a high angle of attack. The report it would have been like a "gust" of short duration.

There is no way to determine that...shy of having a video of the event to study. That does not exist.

I find it disheartening for the RAF to have treated the SeaKing PIC the way they did. It appears the SK was at a hover and the Cessna found its way into the area around the SK as a result of a loss of control. If that happens to you....why should the helicopter guy get blamed in any way for that. I guess that means in the future, anytime there is an airplane operating on an airfield we should all land, go flat pitch or even shutdown...just in case some poor sod gets crossed up and runs under us.

Last edited by SASless; 26th Feb 2006 at 15:02.