PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Panic in Pilots
Thread: Panic in Pilots
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2006, 09:49
justathought

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a subject that most pro pilots will be interested in to a degree. I for one felt a certain amount of relief after maintaining calm during my first airborne emergency. I had always suspected that I would remain calm but you never really know until you've managed to do it.
There is no doubt in my mind that the adrenalin startes pumping etc in a classic flight or fight reaction because after landing on one particular occasion I found my hands were shaking even though I was not aware of it earlier and I had done all the right things at all the right times. I think that ust be the adrenalin. Can anyone confirm? I think that when an emergency occurs pilots have to control their fear because they know that is the best /only way to secure the outcome they want. They can't afford to do anything else because unlike most other situations in life nobody else can step in and help them out. When looking back on one of the two fairly serious events I've had to deal with, I remember a distinct feeling of determination that I have only ever felt to that degree while playing sport. I have put this down to a natural instinct to survive ha ha....fairly strong in most of us I reckon. So that might be seen as a "fight" reaction. The "flight" reaction is simply not a viable/survivable option.
At the moment I think that training has a bit to do with a positive reaction but personality and experience probably more. Always open to changing my mind tho if someone can convince me.
It's been a while Trish....got that Phd yet? I'd be interested to read it.