PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA misses out on SY-LA
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2006, 05:10
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
I'm sorry possums but you are all wrong. There is heaps of evidence in dozens of markets, that free trade benefits everybody - except of course those that benefit from a closed market.

Economics 101 strongly suggests that any job losses suffered by Qantas if SIA was allowed in would be more than offset by the jobs created - here as well as in Singapore. there is plenty of research and evidence to back this up.

The economic consequences of SIA being awarded access to the American routes would be:

1. A reduced passenger price on this route.

2. An increased capacity.

3. Reduced margins for Qantas (offset in part by increased volume through lower prices).

4. Increase economic activity through more inbound tourism from the US as well as activity by Australians accessing the US.

The net result will be a higher GDP for Australia. More jobs for Australians, even if they are not Qantas jobs.

Please give up. The research has been done. Qantas is no special case. You are simply showing economic illiteracy by arguing otherwise. Its rather like me, a dumb PPL trying to tell you how to fly a B747!. There is no basis in fact for you to argue that QF should be protected (except that defence case which none of you have raised). I will not make the final comment because I don't wish to be banned by the woomeri as "anti Qantas".