PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it worth keeping military SAR?
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2006, 10:20
scottishbeefer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Realistically, I think COMR may be the best solution the military could expect (apart from the gold plated, keep things as they are result- unlikely). Still raises other questions, especially if the manning is iaw REMFs forecast above, ie 60% civ vs 40% mil. How do you organise the C2 of the unit? We're all big boys but someone's gotta be in charge. Similar story for the crews. DHFS is still a military organsiation, albeit augmented by civilians.

There's also career implications - OJAR chain and so on, if the grown ups are mainly civ, especially the Boss.

JK - I was a pre and post NVG SAR Wallah. I can tell you that it is a miracle I am here today given the capability jump you get with the gog's. True - they most certainly do not turn night into day, but you couldn't seriously consider overland SAR without 'em these days. No doubt NVG are on the planning table for SAR(H) and frankly, as long as a few of the boys are experienced then they can breed that into the ab-initios - it isn't rocket science. That will be the main limit for the MCA cabs until the next generation of machines start flying. It's more of risk for a non-NVG crew to go into them thar' hills than is worth persuing the casualty sometimes.