PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does renewing your licence help safety?
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2006, 09:02
Mister Geezer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DFC

I agree that a licence should have a picture of the licence holder printed in it. However using a licence for airside access is often a struggle nowadays, with some airports simply refusing to accept a licence for airside access. Some of my former colleagues at my last airline had terrible problems getting airside whilst they waited for their airside pass to be issued. In the most difficult of cases the crewmember either had to 'check in' and get a boarding card or get a fax sent from crewing to security to confirm that the person was a bona fide crewmember. Airport security staff, in general don't know what to look for in a licence anyway. I was told the only thing they do is to match the name in the passport to the name in the licence. No checks on the licence itself! Having an accurate address is not going to enhance security.

Whenever we renew a rating we have to send off the SRG1119 to the CAA and that has a section for the applicant to fill in which includes his/her address. So even if an applicant forgets to keep the CAA updated of his address there is this opportunity for him/her to update the CAA with the paperwork for the rating renewal. However if a different address is on the SRG1119 to the licence they don't seem to query it and they don't send a new address page for you to slot in. Not everyone is going to be keen and remember to send the change of address card when they move house! Once again the CAA making more admin for themselves!

I have a friend of mine who had exactly the same problem that was mentioned. Valid SEP and medical but PPL had lapsed for a few months before it was spotted!