PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it worth keeping military SAR?
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2006, 07:10
SARREMF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

A couple of points in reverse order:-
Crab, calm down its only a commercial!
Jon Jehr, not your vision I'm afraid. That one has been talked about since at least 93/94 - and I agree with you.
Sven, good post well phrased but my answer to you links to my answer to JKnife.
JKnife. The military requirment to train all Support Helicopter crews in secondary role SAR remains extant beyond the decision for SAR(H). Therefore we will need instructors. But that capability will be provided by UK MFTS. UK MFTS will have a mix of mil and civil instructors very similar to the current DHFS set up. My best guess would suggest that some military involvement will remain in SAR - but it may be smaller than we have at the moment. Think of it as the DHFS model turned the other way round - DHFS 60%mil, 40% civ. SAR(H) 60% civ 40% mil?????????? Why not? You get the benefits of COMR, best practice from all 3 services [Civil,RN and RAF] thrown into one melting pot. No more "my Dads bigger than your Dad" discussions. We all bring something to the party lets use the best from each side.
Think on this. Current IPT is at Abbey Wood. It is miltary funded with MCA participation. Let us suppose you make the decision, no more military in SAR. Disband the miltary IPT, give the miltary cash in the EP budget to another project, hand over all work to DTI [or whatever they are called these days] wait 6-years whilst another Government Dept looks at the issues and attempts to get more funding for the entire project.
So, all eyes on the IPT - any signs of suitcases or removal lorries is a better indicator that the Military is out of SAR!