PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2006, 06:58
MyData
Fixed+Rotary (aircraft, not washing lines)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mazzy

The flight last week was the very first time I had taken my wife flying, so when I found out the airfield was closed I wasn't concerned at all, but I think she was

At that time - I knew where I was (both on my chart and by knowing the surroundings outside), I knew where I was going, I had a good fuel situation, I had enough daylight. I also knew of 5 airfields easily in range that I could land at and had previous experience of landing at. I also had my mobile phone with me so that if I landed away I would be able to call Sheffield to come and collect me.

There were two others also heading for Sheffield and so I made contact and became aware of their positions as they too orbited. At the time the Sheffield radio was off air as the controller was at the incident so we were in contact with Doncaster - but keeping a listening brief with each other and Sheffield.

Now - if I'd been flying cross country to Lands End and got within radio distance to find it closed that might have been a different matter. I would have had to quickly review my chart to get a precise fix. Then review alternate airfields, calculate headings and distance, get information on each airfield etc. and then make a decision. I suppose that would be a whole lot more stressful. It reminded me why I always have my Pooleys to hand on longer flights!