PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Eng Branch
Thread: Air Eng Branch
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2006, 22:44
cornishpixie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Eng

Fantaman as every one has eluded to there is no more Air Eng abinitio training. NCA training is now a centralised common core skills course followed by streaming. The advice you have got is all sound advice. However, as you rightly pointed out alot of new "projects" have moved to the right, thus the demise of the Air Eng is not happening as quickly as predicted. There will be a requirement for the Air Eng for the near future. As it has already been pointed out promotion is virtually non existant as is the possibility for signing on. Knowing the trade as I do (I am one) I can forsee a manning shortage in the branch within the next two years unless our lords and masters make a decision on aircraft in-service dates. My advice to you is to avoid the trade as it is a dead trade, even though the E3 has now a requirement for Air Engs until 2035 with no glass cockpit mid life update planned. There is not an Air Eng in current service that has that long to do. On training I would push for your preferred choice and I can recommend Tac AT loadie. As for the J well all new aircraft have "issues". The J is over-comming these money permitting, and there in lies the rub. Cash will always be the RAFs stumbling block and the J upgrades are bloody expensive (like any modern aircraft) and as long as our lords and masters have got a fighter background then we will always end up putting money into Air Defence aircraft as opposed to Transport (C17 excluded) Good luck with your training mate NCA is the best move you will make Cornishpixie