PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2006, 22:44
Chequeredflag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Stick 'n rudder"

Hi all,
I've read about half of this oft recommended book. and it certainly does explain the physics of flight in a rather different way! I'll let you decide, but it seems to fit the job better if you fly a tail dragger.
I've now been waiting to do my QXC since the 22nd December. I was away for much of January, but I've been booked in just about every day since the beginning of this month!! The weather in the Midlands has not been at all kind to aviators (especially solo studes), either too windy, too cloudy, too much rain/snow, or too little viz. The frustration has gone away now, and I'm resigned to waiting for better weather - I am, however, really looking forward to getting it under my belt, so that I can move on towards the "big" one!! Everything's plotted, and I'm rarin' to go.
Reading some of the reports on this thread, I am still a bit confused by the different rules applied by different schools. My school is a "stickler" for doing things right - they have a great safety record and are rightly proud of it. There is no way anyone can take any "short cuts", if that's the right phrase. I am however still intrigued that some schools allow a student to do the QXC with only half the exams done. Mine will not allow you to even do the solo landaway without everything but Aircraft Tech. under your belt, and that has to be passed before the QXC. I'm very pleased to say that all mine are well and truly passed now, though like Mazzy, I'm stuck for something to read now. I almost feel as if i'm being lazy 'cos there's nothing to swot up!!
Anyway, I've got lots of slots booked for next week, so hopefully will get the next step done (though the long term forecast is none too promising).
Good luck to everyone, and safe flying. I'l not be posting again on here until i have my QXC report to hand!!
CF