PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CDA into Gatwick
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2006, 22:09
Major Cleve Saville

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the objective is idle power; left to its own device the FMGC on my current type is designed for a descent at idle say at 250kts and a level deceleration at idle power.
This probably produces less noise than the orange version: below the G/S using V/S with the power above idle, but will not count as a CDA (whilst meeting the objective of minimum noise).
I suspect the USA carriers are just as quiet but using a different profile.

Bokkenrijder: I find a lot of statements in pprune including yours: "Except for the LGW and most foreign crew, very few pilots in my current outfit know how to fly a good CDA approach (engines @ flight idle and without speedbrakes!) and from a training perspective there is a strong emphasis on level segments in the aproach" extremely arrogant: a capable pilot is a capable pilot no matter where he comes from and I am guessing you are from the NL from your title. I am sure a lot of people would love to comment on the CRM and interpersonal skills your compatriots exhibit on and off the flight deck. I suspect humility would not be a feature of the comments!

Level segments are taught in training because most training is concerned with abnormal and emergencies where a 'stabilised approach' is often safest. No doubt you will at some point dazzle us with your single engine (and non-precision?) CDAs .

Last edited by Major Cleve Saville; 24th Feb 2006 at 22:24.