PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it worth keeping military SAR?
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2006, 20:00
JKnife

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SB
I assume by JK you are refering to me. I'm sorry I'm not sure what you mean by name calling. I was answering the questions posed by you and southside and no intention was meant to turn this in to a slanging match.

In answer to your radar question, yes, you can let down in to lochs or other channels, probably with as much care as the venerable Sea King does (but is easier because there is no blind arc). However, neither aircraft has radar that can control other aircraft and from what I remember the only way the Sea King can do that is if the aircraft has an I-band transponder. Civil SAR aircraft do not carry that bit of kit. However, if that was necesary, would there not be a top cover aircraft such as a Nimrod or AWACS anyway? Both of these can read Mode 3 transponders. Howver, I guess the Merlin can do this as well.

I am not involved with approvals of any kit. I have seen the kit working in both types.

To keep to the topic, I question the wisdom of the military losing all their SAR training, but I suspect that the RAF at least wants to go the way of CSAR. It was wanting to go that way many years ago but realised the Sea King wasn't the right type. Still, they have used the Puma and the Chinook successfully. I believe the RN want to lose it on cost cutting grounds, or are they now planning to use the Merlin in the Sea King's place for shorebound bases?

Perhaps the better way would be for the COMR option, but I suspect that if the "civilian" crews are required to wear a uniform and do all the UK station secondary duties (which was certainly muted a few years back), then there won't be that many takers.