PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education: What A Levels and Degree (if any)?!(Apr '09)
Old 24th Feb 2006, 16:36
On speed on profile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We look at the person, not the letters. Aviation may be one of the last 'professions' where that is still the case.
Scroggs, I think you are correct until this last quote. The 'letters', are a good indication of your person as long as they are coupled with a good reason for having them and successful use of your time (probably by getting your FATPL at the same time or having both by a young age).

I do have one question though. If what you say in the above quote is true, why does it seem less and less recruiters 'look at the person'?

A growing number of wanabees out there, think that buying a TR will help them out as they think they dont have an advantage over other candidates. If a company wants a type rating as the pre-requisite, then doesnt that negate your statement. The more and more we read, the more and more it seems that personality doesnt play a part anymore. Many of us feel that we are not getting the chance to let our personalities shine through at interview because we have a)not got the money to buy a type rating or b) just think its wrong and havent done it (as I do).

In your organisation, people dont apply without the pre-requisite requirements (by this I mean substantial jet time) so personality and skill become the main factors when it comes to employment as there is a level playing field when it comes to experience. I dont think this is the case in the 'low-cost, eat your hat to survive as a pilot in the lower ranks of aviation' environment. Please correct me if I am wrong but the growing impression I get is, "if you can afford it son, you're in"!!! Just look at all the £70K+ schemes kicking around the place now days and the young FATPLs who feel a TR is their only/last chance at success! If it was the person that was being employed rather than the qualification, I would put it to you that less 200TT pilots would be buying TR's or, that TR's without experience would play no part in aviation today.

By deduction, I have just slammed my own argument.

I now change it to.... Dont bother getting a degree!!

Still interested in your comments though scroggs.