PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cal
Thread: Cal
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2006, 15:55
alexb757

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Start4&amp
You're not required to make a $13,000(bond) deposit if you're typed in one of their aircrafts.

S43
Maybe not......but it's still very telling about the company. It's all about "protecting" the company, what about the individual pilot? No protection there and you get treated as an evil necessity. Great, just the sort of cockpit CRM you need to engender the "us" versus "them" mentality.

Interesting, you put that money into an account that does not earn interest. What, CAL also dictates how you should bank? After all, if you fufill your contractual obligations, you get the money back, right? So, why shouldn't you get a return on YOUR risk? I don't get it!
Felix: you did the right thing. I would have walked as well. It's like they have something to hide, conveniently leaving it until 2 weeks before you interview. Big Q: why can't they be up-front right at the beginning of he application process? Then lots of people would not have to waste their time and energies.
S43: Didn't felix say hewas typed and experienced in heavies (maybe not one of CAL's)?
Either way, a shady business and one you should think about VERY carefully before signing on the dotted line.
Someone above mentioned about an old instructor giving advice. Well, without going into too much detail, I was once told that the thing holding me back from getting an interview was my lack of a type rating in that company's aircraft (but I did have it on a foreign license with time as well). I was told that unless it enhanced my overall experience level, to spend the money doing something else. I believed at the time, it did not. Years latter, I had the opportunity to get that rating FREE. I then applied to all those companies that were hiring and operated that type. Guess what? Even when it was not on my dime, it made NO DIFFERENCE to the big picture.
Although this is not directly related to the bonding isue, it is food for thought when you have to make a financial decision without any risk protection on YOUR side of the equation.
I also realise that not everyone is in the same boat and circumstances may change. I only hope that some of my previous experience may help others decide which path they want to walk down.