PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education: What A Levels and Degree (if any)?!(Apr '09)
Old 24th Feb 2006, 12:21
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting stuff about engineering degrees in the City, chaps, I hadn't realised that so many engineers were so easily distracted by the filthy lucre! I must ask my brother-in-law (a senior partner in KPMG) if he sees the same.

The motivations and pressures that lead people to take degrees nowadays are very, very different to those that existed when I - and all those Chief Pilots you're going to be talking to - was a young man (granted, I am approaching the end of my youth!). Many will not appreciate that - and many of you won't be aware of that change either!

I'll go back to what I said originally - if you decide to do a degree, do it because it interests you, because it has some commercial applicability, and because you want to. Don't do it because you think you should, or take a particular subject because you think you should. If you're in any doubt about what a recruiter wants to see, don't forget there are many ways of impressing us. Getting your ATPL without huge debt (or rich parents) is one way; doing a year's charity work in Africa is another, or building a successful business by age 21 is yet another. We look at the person, not the letters. Aviation may be one of the last 'professions' where that is still the case.

Scroggs