PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education: What A Levels and Degree (if any)?!(Apr '09)
Old 24th Feb 2006, 09:45
On speed on profile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flash 8, hit the nail on the head there buddy!

People here are arguing Degree vs. Non Degree. They should be asking "Good Quality Degree" vs Zilch (which believe me may be better than something).
And then applying it to the possibility of losing their license, it only takes a head injury afterfalling off a ladder.

Scroggs, never a truer word spoken. A degree now days is not worth as much as it used to be and as such, recruiters probably dont hold them in as higer regard as they used to. Dont get me started on that topic, I wouldnt be able to shut up! I met a hell of a lot of 'complete plonkers' at uni. I have also met a hell of a lot of 'complete plonkers' in the aviation industry who if they lost their medical would struggle to get a job paying anything more than basic wage. Most didnt get degrees or a higher education, have massive loans and got into flying as they werent sure what else they wanted to do and flying 'was cool'.

I think it is personal opinion and you are right. If you have the right reasons for doing one, thats fine, it will make you look good to an employer.

I would add final comment alluding to my previous post. I would not like to be in the position of losing my license without a degree. Lets face it, it does happen and I know that my background will hold up in any industry as it shows dedication and hard work. Hardly anyone in the non aviation industry has any clue about how hard ATPLS or in fact the entire FATPL is to complete. This is where a degree steps in.

All you wannabees out there, if you can take the gamble about losing your medical, then dont get yourself a tertiary education. You may never need it but dont say I havent warned you. Remember, when you have a family to feed and mortgage to pay, a degree takes a lot longer than a refresher course to complete and then you are still at the bottom of the barrel, AGAIN .

Safe (and healthy) flying everyone.

Last edited by On speed on profile; 24th Feb 2006 at 10:01.