PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oxford Air Training
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2006, 14:47
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am neither for nor against Oxford. I merged the threads in an attempt to prevent thei forum becoming all about OAT. It is a common procedure; similar things have been done when other schools are the topic of the day. There is absolutely no value in having one thread 'pro Oxford' and another 'anti Oxford'; this is supposed to be a discussion in which different points of view can be aired. I will ensure that it stays that way.

As for CTC, it is rather a different animal. As you say, it is a structured modular course. The course has been structured to reflect CTC's priorities, which is to prepare students for contracted and confirmed airline places. Nearly all CTC's students enter having already secured a provisional place with an airline, that is why their failure rate at or before interview is so high. There are very few speculative students at CTC, and even those are accepted against places that CTC are reasonably sure will be there. As far as I am aware, no-one passes CTC to then join the job-searchers. That makes tham rather different from the integrated schools who are, at present, only training speculative students who have no job to go to at the time they start the course.

All that said, CTC is far from proof against criticism! There have been several threads here (though not necessarily in Wannabes) about the quality of CTC's output. This has been, as far as I can make out, a consequence of some concerns that easyJet had. Whether this is still (or ever really was) a problem, I can't say, but one thing you'll not see here is a thread called 'CTC cadets - still looking for a job?'! As for the price of the course, I believe it's more expensive than Oxford's - but it does include the type rating and line training. And it includes the allowance paid during the advanced phase of the course. And the cost is repaid by the contracting airline.

You are free to express your opinion of any FTO here. However, don't expect me to blow bubbles up the back passage of any particular school just because you like it. I will continue to call it as I see it, from the perspective of nearly 30 years' experience in professional aviation.

Scroggs