PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education: What A Levels and Degree (if any)?!(Apr '09)
Old 23rd Feb 2006, 14:42
On speed on profile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scroggs,

I agree with you entirely with regards to the shelf life of a degree. You are absolutely correct. However, if I lost my Class 1, I would not go into Computer Science which passed its shelf life when I walked out the door. With that in mind, I have every confidence that I could walk into a medium level job, with my degree (and ATPL) as a standplate of my character and say, hire me! I may not know what to do but I will take a hell of a lot quicker to learn than the rest of the average Jo's waiting outside!

As for your second point. A degree may not help you get a job anywhere. I am in my early twenties, have a degree, 2 licenses and about 1500 hours experience. I have never stopped working/studying and I have many friends with a basic FATPL, no degree and the same age who are thinking, what have I got that can put me above the rest. Working in a bank, service station, etc etc. The answer in my opinion is, not as much as a degree qualified pilot who is the same age and managed to 'do it all' in the same time. In terms of a time management/motivation/determination situation, the degree qualified pilot of same age and qualifications should show up against the rest! Your going to say it doesnt, and you are probably right, it should though and thats depends on how the recruiter puts importance on someones character or personality. Do choose a degree of substance though. Not a piss easy BA where you can take a class in witchcraft! Believe me, this wont help you get a job. Dont get me started on that one!

"Whats a girdler" is absolutely right, its all about apptitude that will get you a job. I disagree with him that having a degree wont get you a flying job becasue having a tertiary education says something about your apptitude when it comes to time management, knowledge learning and recall, perserverance, the list goes on! I think everyone will agree that these are qualities that make a great and safe pilot so by deduction, having a degree says to a potential employer that you have the personal traits he is looking for.

Your physical flying ability is a different matter.

I have had about a dozen interviews for airlines/operators and in all bar a few, I was asked about and why I completed a degree. Why would you ask that as a recruiter if you werent interested? They obvioulsy hadnt discounted it when they read my CV.

All I am saying is a degree can AND SHOULD help. I have personal experience of that when it comes to getting a flying job in an air line (entry level) and as such believe it can help anyone who has one.

Scroggs, Your are right when you say a good quality one with good marks helps. Any average person can get a degree these days because the system has been watered down. Just like you dont need to be an exceptional pilot these days to get a license. I would even go out on a limb and say a 3 year degree with below average marks that took you 5 years to complete is just as bad as telling a chief pilot you passed your IR on the third attemtp. If you arent going to do it properly the first time, dont do it at all!

Sorry for the essay, I have to stop doing that!!