PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea Jigsaw
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2006, 12:07
Hummingfrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Offshore Living

As somebody who has spent a fair time offshore may be I can give a few pointers in how to survive.

1. Don't share cabins. Your cabin is the only place where you can get away from everybody else. Little things can blow out of all proportion when offshore and you need your own space.

2. Don't plan any holidays that start either the day you are scheduled to arrive on shore or the day after. The changeover day is not guaranteed and all sorts of things can interfere:- weather on rig/base, either a/c u/s and tasking. The most I have been late is 3 days due to fog.

3. Do be aware of other people's foibles and make allowance for them as again you will be sharing a small office. I have seen disputes over something as simple as the setting on the office thermostat.

4. Understand the pressure your wife/partner is under as if you have kids remember she will be a single mum for 15 days out of 28 and domestic appliances always break down when you are offshore.

5. Accept that the party you were looking forward to is always scheduled for when you are offshore.

6. Unless the Miller food is poor expect to put on a stone or two in weight as meal times are the big social event of what is usually a boring day.

I wish you all the best of luck but it isn't as cushy a number as you may think. I always remeber my first week offshore and thinking "what have I done!!" but I wanted to live away from Aberdeen. If I lived in Aberdeen I doubt I would be offshore, there are too many downsides and the pressure on family life is larger than you may think. You will only get 2 weeks leave as well compared to the 6 weeks that I get so it will be even worse. It should be noted that I also only work 10 days less than a shore based 332 pilot so with your roster you will work more days than a 332 pilot onshore who goes home every night.

As an experienced Ex RAF SAR pilot, with the knowledge of what offshore basing is really like, what would tempt me to do SAR offshore:-

1. At least £100 per day offshore allowance

2. 6 weeks leave

3. Minimum of a single cabin with en-suite, SAT TV, internet and phone.

4. Self fly change over direct to/from Aberdeen.

Once again best of luck

HF