PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Have you been struck by lightning?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2006, 09:19
GengisKhant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reason I started this thread was that when reading about the original episode re the strikes over Spain, it reminded me of an incident when departing Edinburgh in a Tristar, and if my memory serves me right, it was a C2. Was back in 1988ish, and we were operating out of Edinburgh rotating Scottish army units to M East. Just after t/o with the wheels on their way up, there was an almighty flash followed immediately by a tremendous bang.....! I was up in the front seating area, and the noise from the flightdeck was something to behold..., all forms of audible alerts were going-off. L/M with very worried look on his face was trying to assess if there was anything amis down the back. We continued to climb out and things quietened down somewhat.., with Capt announcing on the intercom that we had been hit by lightning. All systems appeard to be functioning OK, and we continued as planned. Pax were somewhat dumb struck, to say the least!

Though reading through the string and especially bayete's comments, we appear to have been quite lucky.

Thanks for all the contributions..., and still interested in any more experiences of this nature. Whilst sims will have a part to play in testing pilots to react to various emergencies with systems tripping etc, are there any specific programmes run that simulate lighting strikes?