PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2006, 09:08
dinoorin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having sat here for a while and read this thread. I have now decided to add my thoughts.
1. Your's, our's, their's, plastic, fake. I think are some of the words being banded about here.
Why does there need to be a them and us. Everyone wears the same uniform (given some have VRT on them). I suspect this has a lot more to do with axe and personal than a constructive look at how the organisation should be run.
2. Whilst the air training corps is not a recruiting tool. It does report to the RAF and does give these youngsters a good start for a service career.
Therefore the staff should be in uniform and should be part of the service. I do however think that the training should be increased (not easy with peoples home / work commitments)
3. I am ex reg (army) and now VRT. I was a CI for about 4 years before being invited to apply for the VRT commision.
I do feel odd that 30 year WO's salute me. But having said that they are not saluting me, they are saluting the queen (unless things have changed drastically since I left the reg's). I think this is a point people are missing, it also makes me wonder if some of these old reg officers are missing the point about the salute.
4. VRT is here to stay, unless of course RAYDARR you are MRAF and about to change things. Therefore lets get this thread back to the original question / answer - yes it would appear that quite a few ATC peeps use view this thread.
5. Finally, I am very proud to now be a part of the RAF. I would like to think that I uphold the ethos of the service to both the staff (reg and ATC) and the cadets. I think that perhaps people should put down their baggage and look to suport this small number of people that do a lot more for the RAF in the public than individuals are alluding to.
I await some constructive