PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oxford Air Training
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2006, 09:05
AlexL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to add my two pence worth into the mix, with regard to the "30 grand" difference - it does exist.
I'll start out by saying that I am doing all my training part time, modular alongside my day job, so Integrated was never an option for me. Howver I have read oxfords brochures in my research for modular schools, and mighty impressive they appear to be. However contrary to the opinions of many Oxford converts, they are not the only school with professional instructors, and good quality fleets etc.
I'm doing my training at a well known modular provider near Stansted. None of the instructors are "hour builders" most are professional with thousands of hours, many are airline pilots past and current. The aircraft are top notch, the IR aircraft are brand new, as are the 2 simulators for IR and CPL instrument training. Many people give these as the reasons to go to Oxford, but this quality of instruction and equipment is available elsewhere. Yes not all modular providers are like this, and some are in a muddy portacabin with one tired old seneca, but not all are like this. Oh yes and the important bit?
I already had a PPL and I did my hour building for about 5 grand in a local group. ATPLs cost £2500 distance learning (including the exam fees) and the bill for CPL, ME, IR and an MCC on a full motion 737 is going to be about £20,000 including test fees. Add the PPL, hour building and ATPLs and I've still got change for 30k.
So yes you can get a comparable quality training for less than half the cost.
As for the career help thing, well only time will tell but I'm not convinced - and its certainly not worth 30K. for 25k I could get a speculative 737 type rating and 100 hours line training - which will get me a job much easier than a recommendation from a careers advisor.
I've got nothing against oxford and think they have a good product, but they are not the only ones out there.