PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oxford Air Training
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2006, 08:41
Elixir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's fine to have a sensible discussion about FTO's such as OAT but there are two many people here dishing out advice about a school they have no experience of! Where did all this "military style", "regimented", "stepford cadets", etc talk come from? Not OAT students/graduates that's for sure! In my entire time at OAT I didn't hear one student complain about military style regimentation - there are a lot of outspoken students each with their own grumbles as you would get at any school but this was never one of them!!!

Most people who go to OAT go for the expertise and reputation. I was prepared to pay a premium for that (no rich Daddy!!!) - it has been suggested that some of the fees go towards marketing, but it's the marketing that builds up the reputation and the reputation that helps you get a job! I went in with my eyes open and was fully aware of what I was paying for. Actually I was different to Hedges81 as I was going to go for Cabair but after visiting both schools and also CTC and Jerez I went with OAT. There isn't a big price difference when you break down what each school includes in the course. I spent hours at the bank going through all of this for my loan as my bank wasn't familiar with airline training courses.

I've said in an earlier post that I don't regret my decision to go to OAT - I got some great training and a job very soon after graduating, so I feel it was right for me. Being totally honest the part of the course I didn't consider necessary was FOF. I didn't come straight from school and had been given CV advice, economics talks etc before. It didn't need to last 2 weeks - the four days at the start with the CRM stuff is great but I didn't get anything out of the remaining time. However the APP course comes as a package and as I was really happy with the rest of the course I just had to accept the FOF.

Hedges 81 - it really sounds as though you disliked OAT from the start! I can't imagine that a presentation about the school can demote OAT from top of your list to you absolutely loathing it! Did you actually talk to students while you were there and ask their opinions? They are not all school age - my class of 18 or so ranged from age 20 to 35 and that seems to be the case in most classes.
I cannot comment on the instructors, but as all instructors are subject to the same JAA/CAA training, exams and continued career development, there is no reason why the ones at OAT should be any better than elsewhere.
I can't say if OAT instructors are any better than anywhere else as I've only ever trained there! But this comment really is ridiculous - they may all be subjct to the same JAA/CAA training but what about years of experience in an airline or instructing?? Surely that makes a difference? OAT instructors have mainly been airline pilots for bmi, Monarch, Britannia, BA and more - they have an incredible wealth of expertise. Anyone looking at which FTO to go to should consider experience of instructors.