PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SMH article re RAAF buying c-17s
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2006, 08:37
griffinblack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gnadenburg,

Given your outspoken opinion that those in military should not comment on what transpires in industry (particularly from a financial point of view), I find it interesting that you feel qualified to comment on finances associated with military procurement and the consequent capability. Having said that, I recognise the validity of your comments and all the other posters, irrespective of their individual position.

Wessex19 or Scran,

Word is that the Seasprite may be scrapped – do you or any other naval folk know the likelihood of this?

The most recent addition of Australian Aviation quotes the unit cost of a C17 at A$220m. That would put four acft at A$880. I am not a procurement expert, but I understand project costs are normally double the acft costs- I am happy if anyone can correct that assumption. If that is the case, that would put the procurement for the strategic lift capability (for 4 acft) at A$1.75 – A$1.8 billion dollars.

Don’t necessarily be fooled by a “good deal”. If we do get a good deal, we are probably purchasing the capability on the cheap (without the associated equipment, training, documentation etc) or we will get screwed with the support costs – after all manufacturers don’t give away their stuff, they will always turn a profit, one way or another. We have recent projects as testament to that.