PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SMH article re RAAF buying c-17s
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2006, 03:29
Pass-A-Frozo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want to look at the "package" you have to wait until the project actually formally chooses the C-17, and announces it. This has not happened.

As for per unit cost, what would the cost of the A380 be per aircraft if we included all the runway works at Aussie airports, changes to terminals, cost of every aerobridge it will use, any new tools, training of all maint pers etc. That is what is included in Aussie defence projects. Otherwise you get what happens with the Indonesians - they buy something, it works fine for the first 6 months then 3/4's of their SQN sit idle , U/S on the tarmac - or they have submarines that are left as very expensive - incapable surface vessels.

I totally agree that defence procurement should be open to the eyes of the taxpayer (within reason - e.g. not announcing classified capability we purchase). Time will tell what this contract actually costs and what it includes.

Keep me in with the C17? Hmm.. interesting, might have to start being extra nice to DPO However more interestingly, I'll choose if I stay in based on pay and conditions etc. Notice the flying pay review outcome?