PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education: What A Levels and Degree (if any)?!(Apr '09)
Old 22nd Feb 2006, 22:26
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Danny, I don't get your point. The degree has a shelf life if the knowledge is not maintained; that means keeping up to date with the latest developments in the subject. I'm sure your tutor does exactly that; after all, knowledge of the subject is his job. It's not easy to do when you are working full time in a non-engineering or science environment. Therefore your engineering degree becomes steadlily less valuable as a fallback the longer it is since you last studied. This is not a criticism of engineering, it's simply a consideration you should bear in mind - and is true of any professionally-oriented qualification.

Flashdance while I have no reason to believe that engineering graduates would not be welcome in several areas of industry, this topic is not about how to become an investment banker! And your headline shouts of 'FACT' would be more credible with some examples of financial institutions deliberately seeking out Aerospace Engineering graduates. I can't see why anyone would go through all that AE study to become something in the City!

Scroggs