PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oxford Air Training
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2006, 20:50
Alex Whittingham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to put my two penny worth in here because I am one of Oxford's competitors and I am obviously biased so you know where I'm coming from, but then I also compete with FTE, CABAIR, Naples, BCFT, etc and have no issues with them.

Oxford's marketing is unparalleled in the industry. Its very well funded and they genuinely believe what they say. They actually believe their training is better than anyone else's, they believe it so much they don't look at the statistics which say Oxford's pass rates are at best, average and, at worst, poor. They genuinely believe Oxford candidates stand a better chance of getting a job in the face of any evidence to the contrary. Actually CTC wipe the floor with them. CTC only take 2% of their applicants, every one that passes gets a job. The OAT apologists' response is to say "Well, if you want to apply to an organisation with a 98% failure rate, go ahead". CTC use us for modular groundschool. The CTC cadets' pass rates are better than any similar group of cadets in the past, including Oxford's BA sponsored cadets, from back in the days when sponsorship existed. The response? "CTC groundschool is self-study, you are just left to get on with it". OAT believe the JOC is important and use this to justify the price differential from other courses, they ignore its irrelevance to the licensing process and then cheerfully say its the most profitable part of the APP. We're dealing with religious conviction here, which is why folk get sucked in. The whole thing is so wierd its scary. If you go to FTE or CABAIR you will get exactly the same quality of training and exactly the same chances of employment, or not, what you won't get is the Stepford cadet syndrome.