PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2006, 19:43
Mama Mangrove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So Kobomani is finally being forced to leave the empire he created in Port Harcourt. I wonder if CHC really know what they are doing? Mani built up the Aero helicopter operation in Nigeria to one of the largest helicopter operations in Africa. He wasn't always popular but many, like myself, will always respect him and his business acumen. A lot has been said about the standard of the housing and other secondary aspects of the company, but at least Mani always lived in the same place as all the other expat staff and if anybody ever had a problem, he was always there to help if required. If there was nothing he could do, he always knew someone else who could do something. He was not a faceless ghost working only an 8-5 job 5 days a week and set apart in a luxurious $50,000 a year villa miles away from his boys. CHC seem to have been in an almost thoughtless rush to get rid of Nigel, who was tough when was what was needed to raise company standards and Mani who always kept new contracts coming in. Good luck to both in their future ventures Whoever has the benefit of their experience now, has gained from CHCs loss.
OLOG, in their take-over of Bristow maybe went too far the other way in keeping on a lot of old deadwood in Nigeria, but at least now that they have their name change (to Bristow ) the new American hitman is finally in Nigeria doing a weeding exercise and they have still kept on alot of good guys with a lot of N experience to help advise them. The next few months will be an interesting time in the helicopter patch in Nigeria. I'm sure a lot of newcomers will not last the course, there may be a change in the balance between the 2 major companies as they fight to gain predominance, but there will still be a big shortage of suitably qualified pilots as neither company is prepared to recognise their worth in continuing to fly in difficult circumstances.
Whatever, I'm sure that Mani will be remembered long after most of those sent to Nigeria to replace him, are long, long gone.
Good luck Mani, I'm sure it won't be long before your name is heard on this forum again. Cheers

Last edited by Mama Mangrove; 22nd Feb 2006 at 20:01.