PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2006, 19:34
RayDarr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When it was formed in WW2 as a pre service orgaisation, the VR(T) was valid. Later, that role continued through the days of conscription, again, a valid need for the VR(T). However, the ATC?CCF are no longer pre service organisations. Now, there is as much, if not more emphasis on "Citizenship" as there is on drill, theory of flight, and the other "air force" subjects. Why therefore do we need a reserve members of the RAF running this youth organisation? The Girls Venture Corps, now small but still functioning, is uniformed, has a rank structure, and works well; but they don't give a commission to their adult staff.
Some years back, the RAFVR was absorbed into the RAuxAF. These reserves train for, and are called up to augment the RAF. their officers complete an exacting course before they are granted their commission, involving distance learning over several months, and a 2 week running around Cranwell course. They are required to return to Cranwell for a weekend of exams before their commission is confrmed. This process takes up to a year, and reflects the fact that once in uniform, the reserve officer must act to the same standards, with the same knowledge as their regular counterpart. Can the VR(T) officer say the same? No he can't, unless he/she has been regular or active reserve officer in the past. Why therefore should a VR(T) officer wear the same uniform, and aspire to the same privilages as a regular/active reserve officer? He/she does a different job, has a different knowledge base, has no call up committment, does not do CCS, fitness test or anything more than a week reading and writing course. It is not the same thing at all.

The ATC/CCF, does a very important job, and I while I would welcome their officers into my mess, squadron or unit, I still do not see why they must be part of the RAF. Parallel to, but no longer part of.