PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - checking luggage through on a BA flight connecting to a Thai air flight
Old 22nd Feb 2006, 19:13
Globaliser
Too mean to buy a long personal title

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by apaddyinuk
Basically it is up to the final carrier of travel to settle a claim for damaged or missing luggage which sounds fair enough. However, why should an airline accept responsibility for another airlines actions when it should not have been done? On a normal interline ticket the airline settleing the claim can prorate the other airline or airlines part of the cost of the claim but apparently when two tickets are involved, the airline being prorated do not legally have to pay anything!!!
I know that bealine accurately states the current published BA policy.

But I know too little about the mechanics of baggage loss claims to understand how BA's current policy benefits BA. I can understand how the final carrier may end up with the whole bill where the originating carrier has through-checked the bags across two tickets. But if BA is the originating carrier, how does it benefit from refusing to pass the bag on to the final carrier, which would pick up the bill if anything went wrong?