PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bombardier sued over Pinnacle CRJ crash
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2006, 10:28
jondc9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ignition over-ride

yes the DC9 is wonderful. and we have a setting called, IGNITION OVERIDE! quite handy setting too!

yes, ego in cockpit has caused so many accidents. in my first 6 weeks at airline "x" we were going to IND (indianapolis, indiana) at night. I had never been there and asked the captain for vectors to the ILS from atc. he said, look the damn airport is right over there you moron.

I said, I don't see it, but if you do...

the next moment atc says, "where the hell are you going".

we got the ILS

the next morning, to his credit, the captain apologized.

somewhere out there is a movie about the air florida crash, (maybe called ''miracle on the potomac''?). Hope everyone sees it. Great stuff. One crew is briefing takeoff and talking about going to firewall power if needed, the air florida crew is so laid back that there is no thinking going on in the left seat.

Probabtion at airlines should last through the last day of sim training. AFter that you are either qualified or not.

I really can't stand any of John Nance's books. or John Nance for that matter either. But I do agree with the idea that deregulation is making airline flying unsafer.

As to the idea that some pilots in jets are not looking for emergency landing fields, it is quite true. Give some guys 2 jet engines or 2 engines at all and they forget you might just want to get on the ground pronto for one reason or another.

When I was an active CFII, I made my students under the hood with just vor/dme be able to glide towards an airport without an instrument approach. AFter all, the engine doesn't know you are vfr or ifr (vmc/imc)

As to other reasons for multiple engine failure, add VOLCANIC ASH.

regards

jon