PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education: What A Levels and Degree (if any)?!(Apr '09)
Old 22nd Feb 2006, 09:43
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On speed on profile I have a couple of comments on your post:
1. If I lost my pilot medical it gave me something better than stacking supermarket shelves to fall back on!
While this has some truth in it, a degree (particularly in a science or engineering subject) has a shelf life which is not indefinite. The point at which your degree loses its value as anything more than proof that you can study is moot, and depends on the pace of change in your chosen field, but it definitely exists. If you want your degree to maintain its value as a professional qualification as a fall-back, you must keep your knowledge up to date. That can be expensive!
2. I thought it would help me get a pilot job. It definately has!!!!!!!!

By this I mean, all the study skills learnt help me breeze thorugh two sets of ATPLs (30+ ICAO and JAA exams) with about a 90% AVG. Those that dont have one (a degree) cant really comment in my opinion but the life experience you gain from it can not be gained anywhere else. Scroggs is right about the content and about failing the degree which looks really bad but I say that a Degree (of substance) is definately going to help you. It helped me for sure and I dont regret it one bit!
It's difficult to really justify a science or engineering degree by saying it'll make your ATPL studies easier! The level of physics and maths required for the ATPL is pretty basic, and plenty of historians, philosophers and language graduates (and, indeed, non-graduates) have coped perfectly well. Any degree may help your employment prospects, as long as you've obtained a good result and you've made the most of your time and opportunities at university. A basic pass and a huge debt incurred in the union bar will not be evidence of three or four years well spent, and it does tend to come out at interview - remember, I am a qualified (RAF) interviewer with many years' experience!

By all means go and do a degree. Make the best of your opportunities at university. Enjoy yourself, and enjoy your learning. Anything less is a waste of your time.

Scroggs