PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASIC's
Thread: ASIC's
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2006, 01:26
QSK?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm Really Confused!

I'm only a private pilot so I don't need an ASIC for any commercial (RPT) requirement and the number of times I fly privately probably doesn't justify me buying an ASIC . However, I'm totally confused as to whether I need an ASIC at all or whether my AVID will suffice at some airports.

From what I understand from DOTARS/CASA material, if I fly to:

a) a non-RPT airport - no ASIC required

b) an airport with a marked out RPT secure area (blue line): no ASIC required unless you need to go into the secure area

c) an RPT airport with no marked out secure area: ASIC required, as the whole airport technically becomes a total "secure area".

Is my interpretation above correct?

Also from a layman's point of view what is the operational difference and impact between a "secure area of an airport' and a "security controlled airport"? I don't believe this is clearly understood by many pilots.

Whilst I recognise and accept the benefits of increased airport security, I am concerned that airports like Portland for example, are able to classify their whole airport as a "secure area" (ASIC required) instead of just marking out the RPT sensitive area. By doing this, they are making the whole airport unavailable to those GA pilots that only have (or require) AVIDs. Whilst this is not an issue in the Eastern States where there are a number of airport alternatives, it does create problems for those pilots flying into remote areas where airport choices are limited and they require access to sparsely deployed refuelling stops at airports which are declared "ASIC Only Airports".

I think regional airports should be encouraged by DOTARS to mark out their RPT secure areas instead of restricting access to AVID holders by taking the easy way out and declaring the whole airport a "secure area".